Freewill Baptist Churches of Southeastern Indiana

Union FWB church, Flat Rock horiz adj
Union FWB church, Flat Rock Ripley County Indiana

Freewill Baptist Churches – Southeastern Indiana

Pierceville Lot 11, ME old FWB church
Pierceville Indiana Freewill Baptist Church now Methodist

 

Appendix A

Freewill Baptist Churches in Southeastern Indiana

Revised with G. K. McCarty July 2007
Year Church Location Township County Founder Preachers/Elders Assigned
1820 Bryants Creek (Randall) Nr. Rising Sun York Switzerland Marcus Kilburn Alexander Sebastian
1823 Jefferson Shelby Jefferson Benjamin Leavitt Lewis Gould
1834 Union (Old Liberty) Cotton Switzerland Abraham Adkinson, Sedam, McHenry
1834 Franklin (split from Reg. Baptist) Old Milan Franklin Ripley Ezekial Stites Richard Kelley, Daniel Palmer, D. Moss
1834 York York Switzerland Cheney Munger
1834 Sparta nr Moore’s Hill Sparta Dearborn N. Richmond
1836 Delaware Old Delaware (Lookout) Delaware Ripley Samuel Gookins, Phillip Anthony, Jefferson Stevens
1836 1st Manchester Manchester Manchester Dearborn Ichabod Sheldon Z.M. Palmer, J. Carlton
1836 Clinton Rt 48 & Spades Rd Franklin Ripley Elisha Ransom
1837 Washington Elrod Washington Ripley Roger Ide, Eber Watson, William Watson, John Peterman, Charles Larabee, Thomas S. Grimes, Thomas N. Burroughs, Abraham Persinger, James Henderson, John Peters, T. Gloyd
1838 Providence Wrights Corner Manchester Dearborn Cyrus Dudley
1839 Pleasant Pleasant Switzerland
1841 Mainville Warren Co OH Marcus Kilburn, Moses Dudley, Benjamin Tufts
1842 Harmony (Ohio Co?) Posey Switzerland Cheney Munger, Robert Ricketts
1842 Mt. Sterling nr Vevay Johnson Switzerland
1842 Cesar’s Creek nr Friendship Brown Switzerland Roger Ide Roger Ide
1843 Union (Flat Rock) Flat Rock Jackson Ripley Ichabod Sheldon
1843 Freedom Otter Creek Ripley Ichabod Sheldon
1843 Sherburne Panther Creek Sand Creek Decatur Ichabod Sheldon
1844 Colby Sparta Dearborn Roger Ide, Isaac Outhoudt Roger Ide
1846 Milan Old Milan (Lot 28 Keene’s Add) Franklin Ripley Ebenezer Redlon,Henry Meader, James Parker, Ezekial F. Stites, Elisha Ransom, Stillman Ransom, Abigail and Lucy Brown
1849 Centre Square Centre Square Cotton Switzerland George S. Walker
1853 Franklin (Anderson Schoolhouse) (Old Pilgrim Site) Franklin Ripley John Dorson, Thomas Cone, William Resinger, Ezekial Stites, Albert Fuller, Elijah Fuller, Socrates Swift
1853 Mt. Pleasant Newpoint Marion Decatur George S. Walker
1854 Turner nr Moorefield Pleasant Switzerland
1855 Prattsburgh Prattsburgh Delaware Ripley Richard Kelley, Ezekial Stites, Ebenezer Redlon, Aaron Richardson
1860 Pierceville Pierceville Delaware Ripley Richard Kelley, Ezekial Stites, Ebenezer Redlon
1871 Pleasant Grove
1872 Zion 6 miles NW of Flat Rock Sand Creek Decatur John Tucker, Matthew Oldham, Rev. D. A. Tucker, Rev. William Tucker, Rev. E.J. Tucker
          ? Negangard’s Corner Rt 48 & Spades Rd Franklin Ripley R. Kelley/E. Stites

 

Franklin FW Baptist Church, Pilgrim B&W
Franklin FW Baptist Church, Pilgrim B&W

Freewill Baptist Churches Cited in Morning Star, the national publication

 

Church Name
Location Date Founders Citation
Washington Washington Twp Ripley County Sept 1841 Elder R. Ide and Rev. Ichabod Sheldon Morning Star 22Feb1843
Colby Sparta, Dearborn County 2nd Sat Nov 1842 Elder R. Ide and Rev. Ichabod Sheldon Morning Star 22Feb1843
Dearborn Q.M. Ripley & Dearborn Cos 1842 Elder R. Ide and Rev. Ichabod Sheldon Morning Star 22Feb1843
Harmony Posey Twp, Switzerland Co   Elder R. Gould, Adkinson Morning Star 28Jun1843
Liberty Ripley Co 1843 Elder R. Ide, N. Mender Morning Star 02Aug1843
York Switzerland Co 1843 Elder E.F. Stites, Cheney Munger Morning Star 17Sep1843
Mt. Sterling Switzerland Co 1843 Elder E.F. Stites, Cheney Munger Morning Star 17Sep1843
Sherburne Ripley Co 1843 Eld I Sheldon, R. Ide, Hathorn from Maine, and Mitchell from Miami QM Morning Star 01Nov1843
Union Flat Rock,  Dearborn QM 1843 Ichabod Sheldon Morning Star 01Nov1843
Freedom Otter Creek Twp, Dearborn QM 1843 Ichabod Sheldon Morning Star 01Nov1843
         
         
         
         
         
         
         
         
         
         
         
         
         

 

Database: Early African-American Congregations

Early African-American Congregations

in North Central Kentucky

 

Before the Civil War

 

  1. White Churches, with Large or Prominent Slave Populations

 

Photo Year Congregation City County Notes
1770 St. Paul’s Methodist Paris Bourbon Claims to be first Methodist Church in KY
1783 Methodist Society Harrodsburg Mercer An early Methodist center with slave members
1789 Methodist Society Lexington Fayette Short & Deweese, small log building
1789 Coloured Charge of Lexington Circuit Lexington Fayette Later became Old Branch Church, Old Mill Church, Asbury, and Gunn, Wesley Methodist
1790 Methodist Society Port William Carroll Then Gallatin County; Bishop Asbury stayed overnight in 1808; First church 1809. In 1824 the George Boorom Class had four slaves.
1790 First Methodist Frankfort Franklin 1821:28White and 31 Black members
1790 First Baptist Lexington Fayette
1797 Harrod’s Creek Baptist Harrods Creek Jefferson Claims to be first African-American Baptist Church in the area
1799 Drennon’s Creek Baptist New Castle Henry Became First Baptist, New Castle
1799 Christiansburg Baptist Christiansburg Shelby Men listed first, women and slaves last
Yes 1801 Drennon’s Colored Meeting Place New Castle Henry Now Main Street Baptist; Rev. Alex Taylor; separate site; where Elijah P. Marrs received his certificate to preach.
Yes 1803 Corn Creek Baptist Above Milton Trimble Slaves 19% of congregation by 1831
1804 Versailles Methodist Versailles Woodford “Uncle Isaac” a slave introduced Methodism to Versailles; part of the initial Lexington Circuit
1808 Mt. Olivet Baptist Pendleton Henry Richard and Miss Lucy prominent slaves
Yes 1811 Plum Creek Baptist Waterford Spencer
1812 Johnson Meeting House Mercer On Munday’s Landing Road, N.E. area of Mercer and 2 miles from KY River; later Joseph’s Chapel nearby.
1816 First Baptist Frankfort Franklin
Yes 1816 First Presbyterian Shelbyville Shelby 3 Galleries for Slaves
1818 Buck Run Baptist Woodlake Franklin
1818 Six-Mile Baptist Shelby Over 50 Black members
1818 Hopewell Baptist Lacie Henry A large slave part of congregation
Yes 1819 Clay Street Baptist Shelbyville Shelby 1840s – 143 Black: 290 Total;

1854 – 181 Black: 309 Total

1819 White’s Run Baptist Carroll A few slaves
1820 St. Paul’s Mission Lexington Fayette Methodist mission became St. Paul’s A.M.E. and in 1891 Quinn A.M.E.
c 1820 Washington M.E. Washington Mason 90 Blacks, no White
1825 Black Burying Grounds Little Mount Spencer Members of Little Mount Baptist
1827 Versailles Methodist Versailles Woodford Building completed
1828 First Presbyterian Lawrenceburg Anderson Slaves had full membership

 

 

  1. Separated “Colored” Services/Churches
  2. Year Congregation City County Notes
    1829 The African Church Louisville Jefferson Became Fifth Street Baptist in 1844; original Baptist mission to slaves in Louisville, 1815
    Yes 1830 Carrollton Methodist Carrollton Carroll South end of brick church on Highland Avenue had stairway leading to gallery where Negro members were seated.
    Yes 1830s Colored Church Simpsonville Shelby Now First Greater Baptist; in 1851 Rev. Charles Wells, in 1864 Rev. Sandy Bullitt and Deacon John Bullitt
    1830s Methodist Teacher Bedford Trimble Miss Davis taught Henry Bibb and others to read until stopped by the patrols
    Yes 1832 Jackson Street M.E. Louisville Jefferson Originally met in Old Frog Pond Church in early 1830s.
    1832 Colored Baptist Church Louisville Jefferson Market Street, between 7th & 8th
    Yes 1833 First Baptist Frankfort Franklin Founded by Free Blacks in Frankfort.
    Yes 1833 First Baptist Jeffersontown Jefferson Reverend Henry Adams came out from Louisville to found a separate Black congregation from among the members of the Union Church. A log meeting house was erected c. 1850 on the corner of Watterson Trail and the Taylorsville Road. A larger frame church was built c. 1900 and a still larger one in 1976.
    1837 Asbury M.E. Lexington Fayette Mother Church of Lexington Conference
    1838 Bethel House of God Louisville Jefferson 2nd & Main across from old Galt House; became Quinn Chapel A.M.E., mother church for A.M.E. in the area.
    Yes 1839 St. John A.M.E. Frankfort Franklin Formed chiefly by numerous Free Blacks in Frankfort.
    Yes 1839 Jackson Street M.E. Louisville Jefferson
    Yes 1839 Zion Hill Methodist Bethlehem Henry Black velvet rope separated
    1839 Ninth Street M.E. Covington Kenton
    Yes 1840 Second Baptist Campbellsburg Henry Separate slave church building. Members came from as far away as Sulphur, Port Royal, and New Castle.
    1840 Hill Street Methodist Lexington Fayette Large anti-slavery contingent broke away in 1866 to form Centenary as an M.E. Church; In 1858 congregation had 219 White and 570 Black; KY average was only 28% Black.
    1841 First African-American School in Louisville Louisville Jefferson Rev. Henry Adams, African Baptist, moved to Fifth Street Baptist in 1864
    Yes 1842 LaGrange M.E. LaGrange Oldham Some slaves members; Preachers on circuit by 1840; never more than two colored members listed officially. Led to formation of the Second Methodist Church on Adam Street, Kynett Church..
    1842 African Baptist Harrodsburg Mercer
    Yes 1842 Plum Creek Colored Baptists Waterford Spencer Separate services, 3rd Sunday, two elders to report disorderly conduct
    1843 Hopewell Baptist Lacie Henry Edmund to conduct separate services for slaves 2nd Sunday in church; permitted to baptize
    Yes 1844 First Baptist Church Frankfort Franklin Clinton & High Street
    1845 Fifth Street Baptist Louisville Jefferson
    1846 Pleasant View Baptist Mountain Island Owen Colored services, 3rd Sundays
    Yes 1846 Little Vine Church Goshen Oldham Served the Goshen, Skylight (Oldhamburg) and part of Brownsboro district.
    1846 Green Street Baptist Danville Boyle Now First Baptist
    c. 1850 New Liberty Baptist New Liberty Owen Separate slave church building
    c. 1850 Methodist Class Simpsonville Shelby E. P. Marrs attended class
    1850s Center Street M.E.-South Louisville Jefferson A.M.E. Zion 1866 KY Conference formed; Bishop Miles won court case to take Center back to C.M.E
    1850s Green Street M.E.-South Louisville Jefferson M.E. – South
    1850s Jackson Street M.E. – South Louisville Jefferson M.E. – South
    Yes 1852 Negro Methodists Carrollton Carroll Brick building on Sycamore Street given to Negro members for Sunday services; also a school from 1852-1859 taught by Lizzie Dowling. Building used until 1890s when Second Methodist was built on Eighth Street.
    1853 First Baptist Versailles Woodford
    Yes 1853 Shiloh Baptist Scott Station Shelby Old Harrington Mill White Church moved to Antioch Rd
    1855 Green Street Baptist Louisville Jefferson From Walnut Street Baptist
    1857 First Baptist Paris Bourbon
    1858 Cottontown Methodist East Paris Bourbon Now St. Paul’s M.E.
    1860 Evergreen Baptist Lawrenceburg Anderson
    Yes 1860 Elk Creek Missionary Baptist Spencer North section of Spencer near Shelby County
    Yes 1860 Clay Street Baptist Shelbyville Shelby Purchased Lots 54 & 55
    Yes 1860s Colored Methodists Simpsonville Shelby First Street
    1860s Buck Run Baptist Shelby 128 Blacks separate from Buck Run Baptist Church. Most of the rural churches in Shelby County had a large slave population. (See St. John A.M.E.)


 

  1. Free Black Churches, Civil War and Post-War

 

Year Congregation City County Notes
1864 First Baptist Covington Kenton
Yes 1865 First Baptist Eminence Henry The congregation goes back into the formation of Eminence as a town on the railroad tracks. After the Civil War, the congregation separated and built its own building on the south side of Eminence.
Yes 1865 Kynett Methodist LaGrange Oldham Often called the “Colored Methodist” Church. Founded out of the old M.E. South Church at LaGrange; named for Alpha Jefferson Kynett of the Board of Church Extension. Complete union as Covenant U.M.C. in 1996. Called a woman to teach the Methodist children in 1869, paid in part with Freedman’s Bureau funds.
1866 Lampton Missionary

Baptist

Louisville Jefferson
Yes 1866 Second Baptist Taylorsville Spencer Served the former slave population on the upper Salt River at Taylorsville, the county seat of Spencer County. The old church building has been preserved next to the new building.
Yes 1867 Bethel A.M.E. Shelbyville Shelby Rev. W. D. Certain, Rev. H. C. Ashley; grew out of the substantial African-American Methodist population at Shelbyville. Located in the old “Stray Pen” lot where stray pigs and cattle were kept next to the first jail in Shelbyville.
1867 Centennial Baptist Hinesville Shelby Still an active congregation located north of Shelbyville on the railroad tracks at Hinesville.
Yes c. 1867 Second Baptist Warsaw Gallatin This congregation goes back to the earliest settlement of Gallatin County and was separated from the White Baptists after the Civil War. They purchased the old Christian Church and are still an active congregation.
1869 First Convention Colored

Baptists

Louisville KY 12 of 17 congregations represented; 1869 –

55 churches and 12,620 members

Yes 1868 First Baptist Pewee Valley Oldham Founded after the Civil War to serve the African-

American community at Stumptown on the old

Floydsburg Road on the west side of Pewee Valley.

These former slaves became servants at the big

houses in Pewee Valley. After the Ford plant was

built, this became a prosperous community and a

new building was added to the grounds.

1869 First Convention Colored Methodists Harrodsburg Mercer Christian Methodists (C.M.E.) and Lexington

Conference of M.E. emerged

1869 Second Christian Church Lawrenceburg Anderson
1869 Fifteenth Street A.M.E. Louisville Jefferson Now Young’s Chapel; Split to form Twelfth Street

now Broadway Temple

1869 Negro Baptist Mt. Gilead Fayette
Yes 1869 St. John C.M.E. Shelbyville Shelby This was the largest “Negro” congregation in Shelbyville when it built a white frame building on College Street from 1887-1897. Since then the congregation split into the Congregational Methodists and the United Methodists. The African-American Methodists were nurtured by Reverend John Tevis, a staunch anti-slavery pastor.
1869 Simpson C.M.E. Black Hills Woodford Versailles area
1871 Calvary C.M.E. Louisville Jefferson
Yes 1871 Second Baptist Ghent Carroll Given permission to set up separate church from the

Ghent Baptist Church; soon afterwards built their

own church building on Liberty Street.

Yes 1871 Sycamore Chapel

Methodist

Fraziertown Oldham Building says M.E., but probably C.M.E.
1872 New Hope Baptist Louisville Jefferson
1872 Zion Hill Baptist Scott
1872 New Coke C.M.E. Louisville Jefferson
Yes 1874 First Baptist Anchorage Jefferson
Yes 1875 Muir Chapel C.M.E. Eastwood Jefferson Still listed as C.M.E.
Yes 1876 St. John’s A.M.E. Christiansburg Shelby Congregation part of a large slave population

around Christiansburg. Active until 1968.

Yes 1876 First Corinthian Baptist Frankfort Franklin Originally located in The Craw, next to the

Kentucky River. After urban renewal devastated

that area, the church moved to serve the southside

population nearest the new State Capitol.

Yes 1876 Allen Chapel C.M.E. Finchville Shelby Congregation goes way back as part of the White

Methodists in the area. James Allen, who

emancipated his own slaves, organized the

congregation and donated the land and money to

help build the chapel. Patsy Allen, who married

Chapman Harris, a leader of the U.G.R.R. at

Madison, Indiana, and her brother James Allen

were emancipated by the Allen family in the mid

1830s.

Yes 1870s Colored Methodist Church Warsaw Gallatin
1870s Lick Creek Area Baptist Sparta Gallatin
1870a Colored Baptist Ripyville Anderson Joined to form Sand Spring Baptist, met at

schoolhouse

Yes 1870s Taylortown A.M.E. Zion Taylortown Jefferson On Ballardsville Road, east of Louisville; served a

large rural area from Westport Road to U.S. 42.

Yes 1870s Greencastle Baptist Prospect Jefferson Located on Rose Island Road. Served the Prospect

and western Goshen area, that had a heavy slave

population before the Civil War. Little Vine served

the eastern section of Goshen. A small mission used

to be on the Ohio River as well.

1870s Salt River Baptist Anderson Joined to form Sand Spring
1870s Ebenezer M.E. Cynthiana Harrison